What You & Your College Student Need To Know Before They Leave For College
It seems like summer just started, but as much as we’d like to deny it, fall is just around the corner. Proof: When I opened my email the other day I already had my son’s 2015-2016 school schedule. Seriously! I feel like he just started summer vacation and already I’m getting school emails again. It just doesn’t seem right!
While I’m wondering where the last few years have gone and how my little boy is already entering 1st grade, some of you are preparing to send your children off to college and wondering where the time went!
Here are a few pieces of information for you to keep in mind as you make this transition:
Your Child’s Vehicle:
- If your child is taking their vehicle with them to college, make sure you update the garaging address for the vehicle on your auto policy.
- If your child is leaving their vehicle at home, be sure to let your agent know this as well – if your child is going to school 100+ miles away from home, you may qualify for a discount.
- Just an FYI though – even if your child is away at school without their vehicle, they still need to remain on your policy as a driver.
Your Child’s Personal Property:
- Your child automatically has 10% of the Personal Property limit included with most homeowner’s policies to cover their personal effects while away at college. So, if you have $100,000 of Personal Property coverage, your child would have $10,000 of coverage for whatever they take with them to college.
- You may want to consider scheduling more expensive items on your policy, like a laptop. These items will be covered for additional perils and may not be subject to your policy deductible.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding properly insuring your child as they head off to college, give our office a call and your agent will be able to answer all of your questions.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!